March 9, 2011

Well Played James

Dear Tom Selleck . . .

If you haven't noticed, music is ultra important to me.  I don't consider myself a music snob and I don't have a favorite artist or even a genre I lean toward.  If it speaks to me, I love it.  I surround myself with it.

When Mary was in the hospital for so long (2007-2008, and someday I'll get to that story) I immersed myself in as much music as was possible.  I had theme songs, fight songs, playlists of hope, and playlists of hurt.  If I couldn't find just the right song, I'd go music surfing on MySpace.  One artist would lead me to another, to another, to another.  I was a music junkie.  I would spend hours music surfing into the wee hours of the morning.

One night I found Beth Hart.  The song was Soulshine.  It was perfect.  Just what I needed, when I needed it.  Well played James.


(Did I forget to mention my dad, Jim - the dead one, is my DJ?  No?  Ok, another story for another day.  Just know 'Well played James' is how I acknowledge his hand in the mix of my amazing life.)

So after Soulshine, I had to check out the rest of her music.  I fell in love with her (not in a creepy way Tom . . . although I am adding her to my 'if I could romp with a celebrity and were a lesbian list') and downloaded everything she has ever released as I watched this video:


You're in love now too, aren't you?  Don't you just l-o-v-e the way she says "skinny ass Alabama boy"? I've had me one of those.  I believe there's probably a skinny ass Alabama boy in everyone's closet if the truth be known.

Ok, so flash to now-ish.

If you're my friend you listen to Beth Hart.  Or you at least listen to me listen to Beth Hart.  You also know that I always say if she is in town, I will go see her no matter the cost.  If I were a Make a Wish kid, I'd wish to see her.

Also on my 'if I were a Make a Wish kid' wish list is to road trip on every road in every state every day.  I love a good road trip and nothing is more therapeutic to me than a long drive with the windows rolled down and the music cranked up.

I have been craving a road trip for months.  I've told everyone I want to go on a road trip in the spring, but the destination is unknown . . . possibly the beach.

A few weeks ago, as I talked about the places I wanted to go and maybe even live, Nashville became a prominent forerunner.  I know it's crazy, but I kept saying I heard it calling my name.  Weird.

Just a couple of days ago when Jackie B was here for a friendly kick-ass game of Scrabble, we were I was listening to Beth Hart and whining telling her how much I'd love to see her in concert but she never tours anywhere remotely close to us.

For shits and giggles I went to her site and held my breath as I pulled up her tour schedule.  I saw there was only ONE show in the United States listed.  My eyes moved to the left, looking for the state and expecting her only damn show in the US to be in California.

HOLY SHIT!

Nash-fucking-ville!

In the spring!

Guess who's going?  Well played James.  Well played.  Thank you Daddy.

true story.

Edie B. Kuhl

13 comments:

  1. That is probably the best thing I've heard all week! Nashville sounds fantastic! I've never been but would love to go sometime. Off to check out Ms. Hart...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Salti - Thanks! Hope you like her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!
    I have a phrase kinda like the one about your dad, but about the cousin I mentioned in a previous comment. It's "Yes, Evan, I see you." Cuz sometimes random birds stalk me, and I like to think it's just him saying Hi instead of birds out for bl,ood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't hate me, but "LA Song" is the only Beth Hart song I even know. :) I am ashamed. But at least I have THAT one on my iPod. I mean, it's a start, no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chunky Mama - Glad I'm not the only one talking to dead relatives.

    Veg Ass - As long as you have LA Song you're cool in my book. May I recommend: Leave the Light On, Get Your Shit Together, Monkey Back . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. She reminds me a little bit of a gritty Sarah Thiele, but with more vibroto (sp? like I give a crap right now).

    And while you're down this way, you should venture a little further south and come seeeee meeeeee ... just a suggestion, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. inkp - I may be in Charlotte the weekend before. I think that's even closer to you. I smell a meet-up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh. my. god. my DJ is also no longer among the living! but she was my choir teacher. still!!! I LOVE YOU EVEN MORE NOW (if possible...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vittoria - OMG!!! I love you even more now too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Beth Hart. Love Nashville. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jules - I am SO getting my tambourine signed! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is really good! Love that song...
    Road Trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pat - She's amazing! Counting down to the show!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best shot.