January 6, 2016

Ribbons

Dear Tom Selleck . . .

I may have mentioned that I have great hair.  Sometimes I tie ribbons in it, just because I like ribbons.  To me, they feel like a socially acceptable cape.

They also remind me of songs:   "Take the ribbon from my hair.  Shake it loose and let it fall...", "Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the ole oak tree.  It's been three long years.  Do you still want me?..."

I have a yellow polka-dot ribbon tied in my weeping cherry tree in honor of my dad's tree that was lost to the ash borer over the summer.  I have a yellow ribbon tied in my pear tree for the sailor.  The last time I visited the labyrinth, I tied a ribbon in a nearby tree.

I even like the word ribbon.  Ribbons.  Ribbon.  Say it.  Again.  And again.  Faster.  Now you sound like a frog.

true story.

Edie B. Kuhl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me with your best shot.